2180709 IOTA Syllabus
2180709 IOTA Syllabus
IOT and Applications 2180709 Syllabus
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
COMPUTER ENGINEERING/INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SUBJECT NAME: IOT AND APPLICATIONS SUBJECT CODE: 2180709
B.E. 8th SEMESTER
Type of course: Bachelor of Engineering
Prerequisite: Fundamentals of computer network, wireless sensor network, communication & internet technology, web technology, information security.
Teaching and Examination Scheme:
|Teaching Scheme||Credits||Examination Marks||Total
|L||T||P||C||Theory Marks||Practical Marks|
|PA (M)||ESE (V)||PA
|Syllabus Content||No. of Hours|
|1||IoT & Web Technology
The Internet of Things Today, Time for Convergence, Towards the IoT Universe, Internet of Things Vision, IoT Strategic Research and Innovation Directions, IoT Applications, Future Internet Technologies, Infrastructure, Networks and Communication, Processes, Data Management, Security, Privacy & Trust, Device Level Energy Issues, IoT Related Standardization, Recommendations on Research Topics.
|2||M2M to IoT – A Basic Perspective– Introduction, Some Definitions, M2M Value Chains, IoT Value Chains, An emerging industrial structure for IoT, The international driven global value chain and global information monopolies.
M2M to IoT-An Architectural Overview– Building an architecture, Main design principles and needed capabilities, An IoT architecture outline, standards considerations.
|3||IoT Architecture -State of the Art – Introduction, State of the art, Architecture
Reference Model- Introduction, Reference Model and architecture, IoT reference Model, IoT Reference Architecture- Introduction, Functional View, Information View, Deployment and Operational View, Other Relevant architectural views.
|4||IoT Applications for Value Creations
Introduction, IoT applications for industry: Future Factory Concepts, Brownfield IoT,
Smart Objects, Smart Applications, Four Aspects in your Business to Master IoT, Value
Creation from Big Data and Serialization, IoT for Retailing Industry, IoT For Oil and Gas Industry, Opinions on IoT Application and Value for Industry, Home Management, eHealth.
|5||Internet of Things Privacy, Security and Governance
Introduction, Overview of Governance, Privacy and Security Issues, Contribution from
FP7 Projects, Security, Privacy and Trust in IoT-Data-Platforms for Smart Cities, First Steps Towards a Secure Platform, Smartie Approach. Data Aggregation for the IoT in Smart Cities, Security
Suggested Specification table with Marks (Theory):
|Distribution of Theory Marks|
|R Level||U Level||A Level||N Level||E Level||C Level|
Legends: R: Remembrance; U: Understanding; A: Application, N: Analyze and E: Evaluate C: Create and above Levels (Revised Bloom’s Taxonomy)
Note: This specification table shall be treated as a general guideline for students and teachers. The actual distribution of marks in the question paper may vary slightly from above table.
- Vijay Madisetti and Arshdeep Bahga, “Internet of Things (A Hands-on-Approach)”, 1st Edition, VPT, 2014
- Francis daCosta, “Rethinking the Internet of Things: A Scalable Approach to Connecting Everything”, 1st Edition, Apress Publications, 2013
- Cuno Pfister, Getting Started with the Internet of Things, O‟Reilly Media, 2011, ISBN: 978-1-44939357-1
After learning the course, the student will be able:
- Understand the vision of IoT from a global context.
- Understand the application of IoT.
- Determine the Market perspective of IoT.
- Use of Devices, Gateways and Data Management in IoT.
- Building state of the art architecture in IoT.
- Application of IoT in Industrial and Commercial Building Automation and Real World Design Constraints.
List of Experiments:
- Define and Explain Eclipse IoT Project.
- List and summarize few Eclipse IoT Projects.
- Sketch the architecture of IoT Toolkit and explain each entity in brief.
- Demonstrate a smart object API gateway service reference implementation in IoT toolkit.
- Write and explain working of an HTTP- to-CoAP semantic mapping proxy in IoT toolkit.
- Describe gateway-as-a-service deployment in IoT toolkit.
- Explain application framework and embedded software agents for IoT toolkit.
- Explain working of Raspberry Pi.
- Connect Raspberry Pi with your existing system components.
- Give overview of Zetta.
Design based Problems (DP)/Open Ended Problem:
- How do you connect and display your Raspberry Pi on a Monitor Or TV?
- Create any circuitry project using Arduino.
Raspberry pi, Arduino
List of Open Source Software/learning website:
- Contiki (Open source IoT operating system)
- Arduino (open source IoT project)
- IoT Toolkit (smart object API gateway service reference implementation)
- Zetta (Based on Node.js, Zetta can create IoT servers that link to various devices and sensors)
ACTIVE LEARNING ASSIGNMENTS: Preparation of power-point slides, which include videos, animations, pictures, graphics for better understanding theory and practical work – The faculty will allocate chapters/ parts of chapters to groups of students so that the entire syllabus to be covered. The power-point slides should be put up on the web-site of the College/ Institute, along with the names of the students of the group, the name of the faculty, Department and College on the first slide. The best three works should submit to GTU.